The other day, Andrew and I drove past the old house. I'm usually never on that side of town anymore but if by chance we're anywhere nearby I'll hit 5th street and point out the old house to Andrew. This day I noticed that the house looked like it was open to the public for some reason. I quickly pulled over and noticed a gal weeding along the fence and asked her what was going on. She told me it was open for a Sustainability Tour. I asked if just anyone could go through the house but she told me that people had purchased tickets for the tour. I told her that I had grown up in the house and she got really excited and insisted that I come in! Apparently she and her husband have been trying to contact someone from our family to get some more history on the house!
Jeff and Jen showed me all over and let me wander around wherever I wanted. They also let me borrow their camera to take some pictures but the battery didn't last too long. (Hopefully they'll email those pictures to me soon). I finished up with my cell phone camera, so the quality isn't great on these.
They are a young couple with a little baby and I can not adequately describe how nice they are. I'm so happy that 205 has such a fantastic family that's taking good care of her and that plans on staying for a long time :)



Dad's bookshelf.
I don't think I realized when I was there just how much of the woodwork they had painted. None of the doors are painted though so it's actually a really cool contrast.



This is now what you see at the top of the stairs looking into mom and dad's old bedroom. Notice the hallway to the bathroom is gone! Freaky huh?
This is where the hallway used to be...
Take a left into the boys' old bedroom...it's been divided up into two new rooms...laundry and guest bathroom.




Mom and dad's old bedroom...
(The coloring's a little weird on this one)
They built this doorway in the other corner to go into the original bathroom which is now the master bathroom.
Going into the master bath...


Recognize that little window? It used to be on the back wall facing the alley.
This is looking back into the old sauna/laundry room area and where the toilet used to be.
These are all the pictures I got on my cell phone camera. I took some pictures of the girls' bedroom and some more downstairs pictures with their camera, so hopefully I'll get those soon. The girls' bedroom is almost identical except they put in some french style glass doors between the bedroom and sitting room area. The owners that bought from mom and dad remodeled the downstairs bathroom. They actually fit a shower in there if you can believe it. It's beautifully done but honestly it's really cramped so I'm not sure I like the shower in there. Those owners also put in some fancy schmancy new furnace. The current owners, along with all the upstairs stuff, have replaced most of the windows with energy efficient windows. The attic hasn't been touched! That was probably the weirdest going up there because it was like a time capsule! It even had that hot, stuffy feel and smelled exactly the same. Anyway, hope you enjoyed the pix.
Sunday, June 12, 2011
The 205 House
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Sweet!
No pictures of the "true" master bedroom (your old room.) I never understood why mom and dad never took this over as their master bedroom. That second story makeover looks pretty nice ... not sure about the white paint on the stairwell. What's up with the attic?
And the obvious question ... when are you and Tim going to buy the house? You know it's inevitable.
The homeowners let me borrow their camera. Pictures of my old bedroom and some other random ones are on that camera. They're going to email them to me. They said they debated on whether or not to paint the stairwell. Mom had finished stripping about half of it and the rest still had the brown faux paint on it. Apparently the people that bought it from mom and dad hadn't done anything to it. So they debated finishing the stripping or painting it and opted for painting obviously.
So good to know my stripping gave them a nice surface for their white paint. LOL
Post a Comment