Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Snake problem in Florida



It is estimated tens of thousands of Burmese Pythons are in the everglades and are killing the natural wildlife. This is due to people getting the snakes as pets and not wanting the responsibility anymore, so they just set them free. Because the snakes don't have any natural predators in florida there population has just soared. Well these snakes are moving out of the everglades. The seventeen foot snake in the picture on the right was found near a vet clinic in Okeechobee. There was another 14 foot snake a wildlife expert found in Bradenton, and another one that is nine feet eight inches long. There have been countless other snakes found and they usually tend to eat only small animals, but the larger ones are known to take down gators and dear. The picture on the left is the saddest story of all a two year old girl was strangled to death by the family pet an 8 foot Burmese Python. The Python was kept in an aquarium with a quilt covering the top. The governor is calling for a bill banning the ownership of these snakes, others are wanting stricter ownership laws. The governor is also calling for an organized hunt in the everglades to cut down the snake population. I agree with this as they are not a natural species. But of course here come the animal rights groups. I have the link but I'm not sure if it will work. Anyway this has become a hot button issue in Florida, and I just had to get on my soap box.


http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/national/Animal_Rights_Group_Blasts_Senators_Plan_for_Florida_Python_Hunts_93709058

8 comments:

Britt said...

I guess you can just copy and paste the link

Britt said...

I spelled Deer wrong. Geez.

hwj chim said...

Pay people to hunt the snakes. Create jobs and get rid of the snakes 2 problems taken care of at once.

Britt said...

that's what I was thinking, and then they could just put whatever regulations on it to keep the animal rights people happy. right now they are paying wildlife experts to capture and euthanize the snakes. I think it would be a heck of a lot cheaper to use a machete or a gun. I don't know how easy it would be to shoot a snake though...

Lori Sieler said...

That things huge. I bet it could take down a full grown activist.

Britt said...

I should show the picture of the snake and the alligator it's pretty intense, it appears that the snake exploded while trying to take down a gator.

Liv said...

This is so weird, dad was just talking about these snakes a few weeks back.

Suzy said...

yeah- it's weird cause your grampa was just telling everyone about the florida snake problem. really sad about the little girl. a snake hunt sounds good to me- another conservative side of your gramma. btw- how are your and your hubby?